[Mailman-Users] configuring mailman for multiple domains

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Nov 20 06:02:40 CET 2001

First why do you want two mailman installs on the same machine?  Multiple
domains can be served by one install of Mailman.

The only reason I can think of to install it twice is that you want to
modify the source code on one install and leave the other as is (or modify
the source in a different way)

Second, if you *do* install mailman twice on the same machine, there are a
lot of tweaks you need to do that start with the ./configure script.
  - install the first using user mailman in that home directory, the second
as a different user (mailman2), because the installs need to be in
different home directory,
  - You need to rename qrunner (qrunner2) in the second install and if
using Sendmail, create a second link to the smrsh directory,
  - Two entries in your webserver, with different web-roots

And assorted other tweaks

I'm betting that you didn't do some or all of the tweaks above, and thus
have installed over your old install un-intentionally.

I would recommend that you restore from backup (just kidding, but it does
make a point!).  Save off your data and config files to a neutral place
(assuming you want to save the list info and the archives), and then
reinstall with the original settings.

Recreate the lists manually, test, then move your config files and data
into the new install.

The config files contain all your users and their settings, plus all the
config settings of the mailing lists.

Good Luck - Jon Carnes