[Mailman-Users] I need some help

Jon Carnes jonc at haht.com
Wed Nov 14 19:48:49 CET 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "SUPPORT" <SUPPORT at HAMPTONU.EDU>
To: <mailman-users at python.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2001 11:44 AM
Subject: [Mailman-Users] I need some help

> I have just setup Mailman running on a Linux bix. Red Hat Seawolf, and i
am
> unable to get the web interface to even come up in my browser. Can someone
> send me a list of config's to check for. ie settings for path to URL,
> directory permissions and the such. I followed the INSTALL file to the tee
> but saw nowhere as to how to configure Apache to use whichever the mailman
> directory is.

>From INSTALL, Step 4:
===
  - Configure your web server to give $prefix/cgi-bin permission to
    run CGI scripts.  You probably need to be root to do this.

   The line you should add might look something like the following
   (with the real absolute directory substituted for $prefix, of
   course):

       Exec          /mailman/*      $prefix/cgi-bin/*
   or:
       ScriptAlias   /mailman/       $prefix/cgi-bin/

 Consult your web server's documentation for details.

...snip...

   - Configure your web server to point to the Pipermail public
     mailing list archives:

     For example, in Apache:

        Alias /pipermail/ $varprefix/archives/public/

     where $varprefix is usually $prefix unless you've used the
     --with-var-prefix option to configure.

     Consult your web server's documentation for details.  Also be
     sure to configure your web server to follow symbolic links in
     this directory, otherwise public Pipermail archives won't be
     accessible.  For Apache users, consult the FollowSymLinks
     option.

     Now restart your web server.

===

If you did not follow these steps, then I'll bet you also missed a lot of
others that are even more important (like setting up your cron entries!).

The following lines are typical additions to the file /etc/httpd/httpd.conf
in Apache on Linux.  Please note that the lines assume that mailman is
installed to /home/mailman/.

===
Alias /pipermail/ /home/mailman/archives/public/

<Directory "/home/mailman/archives/public">
    Options Indexes MultiViews FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

# Added for use by Mailman scripts
ScriptAlias /mailman/ "/home/mailman/cgi-bin/"

<Directory "/home/mailman/cgi-bin">
    AllowOverride None
    Options ExecCGI
    Order allow,deny