[Mailman-Users] Bounce: 0 more allowed over 166798 secs

Greg Ward gward at mems-exchange.org
Mon Nov 12 17:44:36 CET 2001

On 10 November 2001, Michael Deck said:
> Ok, I think I have it figured out. Not knowing Python was a hindrance but
> having the source sure helped. :)
>
> Turns out that SMTP was returning a 553. When I dug into it a bit on
> Google, I saw that 553 was a rcpt host problem. Then I tried sending myself
> some mail at another machine using my machine's SMTP and Lo! I was misusing
> rcpthosts. I had a rcpthosts file and it had only me in it. So only I was
> getting the mails from the list.

Once again I will plug my favourite network debugging tool: Ethereal, a
fantastic GUI packet-tracing tool.  If you had been running Ethereal
while submitting message to Mailman, you could watch the traffic between
Mailman and qmail in real time, and you would have immediately seen the
553 response from sendmail.  Who needs source code when you can just see
the whole SMTP conversation right there?

(www.ethereal.com, or "apt-get install ethereal" if you're running Debian.)

        Greg
Greg Ward - software developer                gward at mems-exchange.org