[Mailman-Users] Optimizing sendmail

Chad M. Stewart Chad at Balius.com
Mon Nov 12 17:42:46 CET 2001

Due to the nature of how sendmail works I find that a site can get messages
out faster if they have multiple processes running delivering mail to a
small number of recipients.

When I was running sendmail and majordomo together I used a 3rd tool,
bulk_mailer.  majordomo submitted one message to bulk_mailer.  bulk_mailer
would split the single message into multiple messages with N recipients per
message, where N is a number I set.

Now I'm using mailman to run the list I still employ the same logic.  If I
let mailman give sendmail one message with 200+ recipients it would take
hours to get that single message out.  The problem is that if recipient 50
takes 2 minutes to connect and another 5 minutes to deliver that slows down
delivery for all recipients after number 50.  Certainly more than just one
address on the list will slow down delivery.

By having more sendmail processes with a small number of recipients per
process allows for faster delivery. In my mailman configuration I set
SMTP_MAX_RCPTS to 10.  Each site is unique and thus will have to find the
right number for themselves.

Regards,
Chad

--On Friday, November 09, 2001 3:47 PM -0500 Jon Carnes <jonc at haht.com>