[Mailman-Users] Many options "hidden" in the Defaults.py file

Jon Carnes jonc at haht.com
Fri Nov 9 18:28:56 CET 2001

There are many options for configuring Mailman which are "hidden" in the
~mailman/Mailman/Defaults.py file.  Of course they are only "hidden" because
folks don't look for them there...

Read through that file and if you find yourself wanting to make changes,
then please make those changes in the file: mm_cfg.py (and NOT in
Defaults.py).  The file mm_cfg.py over-rides the choices in Defaults.py.

The particular feature you want is in that file:
===
# how many bytes of a held message post should be displayed in the admindb
web
# page?  Use a negative number to indicate the entire message, regardless of
# size (though this will slow down rendering those pages).
ADMINDB_PAGE_TEXT_LIMIT = 4096
===

Here is a copy of my mm_cfg.py file.  Some of settings were put in during
install and I added the others to match my install and my preferences for
default list creation:
===
from Defaults import *
DEFAULT_HOST_NAME = 'haht.com'
#  by default my archives are off.
DEFAULT_ARCHIVE = 0                               # 0=Off, 1=On
DEFAULT_ARCHIVE_PRIVATE    = 0                    # 0=public, 1=private
ARCHIVE_TO_MBOX = -1
DEFAULT_ARCHIVE_VOLUME_FREQUENCY = 1
PUBLIC_EXTERNAL_ARCHIVER = 0
PRIVATE_EXTERNAL_ARCHIVER = 0
GZIP_ARCHIVE_TXT_FILES = 0
ARCHIVER_OBSCURES_EMAILADDRS = 0
DEFAULT_CHARSET = None
VERBATIM_ENCODING = ['iso-2022-jp']
# I don't push any of my lists out to newsgroups
NNTP_USERNAME = None
NNTP_PASSWORD = None
DEFAULT_NNTP_HOST = 'www.haht.com'
# I like to look at a huge hunk of my users on any one admin page
DEFAULT_ADMIN_MEMBER_CHUNKSIZE = 100
DEFAULT_LIST_ADVERTISED = 1
DEFAULT_MAX_NUM_RECIPIENTS = 0
DEFAULT_MAX_MESSAGE_SIZE = 40           # KB
# my lists are supposed to sponsor discussion, so *yes* the
# default relpy is to the list!
DEFAULT_REPLY_GOES_TO_LIST = 1
ALLOW_OPEN_SUBSCRIBE = 1
DEFAULT_PRIVATE_ROSTER = 2
DEFAULT_NONDIGESTABLE = 1
DEFAULT_DIGESTABLE = 0
DEFAULT_DIGEST_HEADER = ""
DEFAULT_DIGEST_FOOTER = DEFAULT_MSG_FOOTER
DEFAULT_DIGEST_IS_DEFAULT = 0
DEFAULT_MIME_IS_DEFAULT_DIGEST = 0
DEFAULT_DIGEST_SIZE_THRESHHOLD = 30     # KB
DEFAULT_DIGEST_SEND_PERIODIC = 1
DEFAULT_PLAIN_DIGEST_KEEP_HEADERS = ['message', 'date', 'from',
                                     'subject', 'to', 'cc',
                                     'reply-to', 'organization']

DEFAULT_MAX_POSTS_BETWEEN_BOUNCES = 3
===