Fw: [Mailman-Users] command who on private list

Dan Mick dmick at utopia.West.Sun.COM
Wed Nov 7 02:06:00 CET 2001

> > >                     I haven't found a way to get the subscriber list via
> > administrator be email so far !
> >
> > So, the issue is that "authenticating the 'who' requestor" isn't
> > reliable from an email, not that you can't get the list.
> > You can get the subscriber roster for a list that isn't
> > roster-controlled.  Also, if the administrator is a member
> > of the list it should work.  Perhaps that test should be expanded
> > to include "or sender is administrator".
> >

> Hey Dan,
>                As end users (administrators of lists NOT the host website OS)
> our options are limited.

No one was talking about something that required host admin privs.

> I have the subscriber "who" set to NO.
> Which means the subscribers cannot be provided with this info.

OK.  The option is "Who can view subscription list?" and the
options are "Anyone", "List members", "List admin only", at least
in 2.1.  Has this changed for 2.1?  I hadn't thought so.

Anyway, yes, if it's set to "List admin only", I would expect
the subscribers don't get it.

> I attempted a test with my subscribed address and it was refused as well.

Again, this is not a surprise, right?

> Don't have POP on my administrators email because it is merely a forwarding
account as a result of my allowing a co-moderator (no mailman option.)
>  As a result I cannot tell you definitely if the WHO will go to the
administrators address.

Well, I can, and did.  What are you saying here?  I'm missing your
point.

> I haven't a clue as to what you mean here
> "Perhaps that test should be expanded > to include "or sender is
administrator".

> Perhaps you could expand on it ?

I'm suggesting that maybe a useful new feature to the processing
of the 'who' command would be to allow the administrator to
retrieve the list (by changing the test in the code).  That implies
that I fully realize it doesn't work that way today.