[Mailman-Users] mailman 2.0.6 feature questions

vjl at www.seweb.uci.edu vjl at www.seweb.uci.edu
Fri Nov 2 02:49:56 CET 2001

Hi all,

I'm a longtime Smartlist admin who's migrating to Mailman 2.0.6 and I've
got a few questions regarding features:

I have several legitimate 'non-opt-out' type of lists; Ie: our department
wants to make sure that *every* faculty member is given a certain message,
so we use a smartlist mailing list. I've configured it so that users can
not unsubscribe from that list - they have to contact us directly [and we
only unsub someone if they are quitting]. Is there a way to do this in
Mailman? Also, seeing as someone may want to get around that by putting
themselves on permanent vacation, is there any way to disable that feature
as well?

Is there any way to have a reduced-feature admin w3 page? Ie: I'd like to
give a non-tech person the ability to add/delete users, but nothing more.
I don't want them to change the site URL, name of the list, etc, etc.

Is there a way to either globally or on a per-list basis, customize some
of the auto-reply text? I notice you can prepend some text to some of the
auto-replies, but how 'bout replacing the entire auto-reply message
itself?

Although I've not gone into production w/ Mailman yet, I have to say I'm
very impressed with its featureset. I think I'm going to have to make some
room in my schedule to help out with its development [there's nothing like
a nice, long wishlist to inspire me]. My python, though is rusty and old
[last version i used was 1.3 in '98: http://www.python.org/psa/Users.html]
I'm actually looking forward to creating some PHP classes that might make
for a more easily customized UI.

Any tips y'all might have would be most appreciated.

/vjl/