[Mailman-Users] Just a thought about read-only lists...

Mike Cisar marauder at morepower.com
Sat May 26 19:29:53 CEST 2001

This is just a bit of a random thought about the topic of read-only mailing
lists, and I may be off to left field if this is something that is already
planned for 2.1 (I'll admit I only skim this list, and didn't really even
know 2.1 was in the works until I happened to glance at a post today).

Anyway... it seems that every few days there is a post from someone who is
asking how to implement a read-only list (and now that I think about it
about lists that users cannot unsubscribe from).  Now I've been running
mailman for probably a couple of years now and have done (as I'm sure many
have) my own little tweaks and hacks to "simulate" those two particular
"features".  But that said it would be very nice to see these two things as
actual features in the product, and there does seem to be a demonstrated
demand.

I wouldn't think it too difficult to add these things programatically (a
couple of extra variables, a couple of extra checkboxes on the list
configuration screen "read-only list" and "users cannot unsubscribe"... and
a handful of conditional statements around the routines in the code that
control those two functions).  That may be oversimplification, as I don't
know enough Python to even bother looking at the code :-)

Anyway, just thought I'd put in my 2 cents (plus appropriate taxes and
duties as this message crosses your borders of course).

Cheers