[Mailman-Users] HP-UX woes and fixes

Luke lop at duke.edu
Wed May 23 01:01:10 CEST 2001

I have mailman marginally running on HP-UX 10.20.

Something weird:  every time I make any kind of administrative change to
the list, I start getting mailed messages like this:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/mailman/cron/gate_news", line 222, in ?
    main()
  File "/home/mailman/cron/gate_news", line 203, in main
    process_lists(lock)
  File "/home/mailman/cron/gate_news", line 140, in process_lists
    mlist = MailList.MailList(listname, lock=0)
  File "/home/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 79, in __init__
    self.Load()
  File "/home/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 891, in Load
    dict, e = self.__load(dbfile)
  File "/home/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 868, in __load
    fp = open(dbfile)
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
'/home/mailman/lists/seeds/config.db'

If you go in and look at config.db, its bits have been modified so it's
like this:

-rw-rw----   1 apache     mailman       3929 May 22 16:48 config.db

when in fact the file should be owned by mailman.  a chown as root gets
everything running again.

Any ideas why this would get changed every time, and how to fix it?

One issue that seems pretty frequent that I wanted to post a solution
to:  most HP-UX people grab the precompiled binary distribution of python
1.6.1 and install it.  The problem with it is that it prints out this
error message:

Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]

so this gets mailed to you every time python is run- a LOT.

The solution to this (figured out by Philippe Rodriguez) is simply this:

mkdir /opt/python/lib/python1.6/lib-dynload

Just wanted to pass that along.

Thanks
Luke Palmer