[Mailman-Users] MTA username question

Roger B.A. Klorese rogerk at QueerNet.ORG
Fri May 18 05:52:30 CEST 2001

On Thu, 17 May 2001, Steve Pirk wrote:
> I know this is a bit off topic, but I have a customer who insists
> on creating a user with a mixture of upper/lower case characters.
>
> I could not figure out why we were having problems (wanted to
> incorporate into mailman later) until I actually tried to EXPN
> the name. Linux reports no such user. I even tried to create an
> alias lowercase: LowerCase in /etc/aliases. Still no luck.
>
> Is there some inherent reason "why" usernames with mixed case cannot
> receive mail?

Inherent, no.  Default, yes.

By default, sendmail has the smash-case flag turned on for the local
mailer.
--
ROGER B.A. KLORESE                                          rogerk at QueerNet.ORG
PO Box 14309		                                San Francisco, CA 94114