[Mailman-Users] big lists, big messages

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Sun May 13 19:41:27 CEST 2001

On 5/13/01 1:21 AM, "Tib" <tib at tigerknight.org> wrote:

> If you're running on a 384k dsl then the only advertising is the stuff you put
> up yourself because it's your server.

Not true, but also not really relevant -- I was using it only as an example,
since it's my home DSL. My big stuff is somewhere else with big pipes (> 7
DS-3s, last I looked)

> I would think this would be a bit the opposite.

Again -- you THINK. I've done.

> What I have:
> A personally built server (PIII 500, 256mb memory, 30g hd)
> a 1.1 sdsl line
> 5 fully hosted domains
> 23 users (maybe a third of which are decently active for mail and web demands)
> 5 email lists running on mailman, the largest of which is about 300 users.
> mrtg to keep track of bandwidth usage
> basic algebra

Ah, thanks. You finally admit you don't know and haven't done.

I've done lists up into the seven digit size. We've experimented with URLs
and click-ins. If you're talking about 300 users max, it doesn't matter what
you do. ANYTHING works. It doesn't scale, though.

But believe what you want. Trust your algebra. I suggest you don't sell the
service until you know for sure, though with real numbers.