[Mailman-Users] big lists, big messages

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Sun May 13 19:29:59 CEST 2001

On Sat, 12 May 2001 23:19:15 -0700
Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui at plaidworks.com> wrote:
> On 5/12/01 10:43 PM, "J C Lawrence" <claw at kanga.nu> wrote:

>> 3) If delivery failures are clogging your MTA queue and are
>> noticably slowing delivery rates, you need to start thinking
>> about reviewing your MTA configuration or using a different and
>> more intelligent MTA.

> MTA configuration is huge.

Yes, and no.

I posit that some MTA's ala Postfix and QMail do a good enough job
that they do solve 80% of the problem, which leave only rather rare
cases being interestingfrom a tuning viewpoint.

> (Oh, and at times, you'll find you have to redo stuff, because
> there are places where the paradigms change -- you scale to some
> point, and then you have to rethink how you do things...)

Yeah, I've been caught there a couple times.

J C Lawrence                                       claw at kanga.nu
The pressure to survive and rhetoric may make strange bedfellows