[Mailman-Users] Problem with mailinglist/archives.

Tib tib at tigerknight.org
Wed May 9 03:25:01 CEST 2001

I found the problem and was able to solve it:

when I ran the arch command to import the old archives of the list that got
moved to my machine, I ran it as root - and it set all the rwx permissions
correctly, but failed to set the ownership settings correctly (owned by root
rather than owned by mailman). After fixing this, it works again just fine.
Lord praise the error log file :]

To speed up changing the permissions correctly, I wrote a little script to
handle it. it should work for any list you want. I've attached the script I
made, feel free to put it in the bin directory. Th script will set ownerships
to 'mailman:mail' (or mailman:mailman on the index.html link files) in the
private archive area of whatever list you specify.

This script should work without any problems on all basic installations of
mailman. If you have special group, user, or path settings that deviate from
the install defaults, double check this script before using :] hope it's useful
to someone else too.