[Mailman-Users] Call for suggestions

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Wed May 9 01:55:21 CEST 2001

Chuq Von Rospach wrote:

> And services like yahoo have programmers on staff to write this stuff, and
> admins on staff to manage it, and budgets for the hardware, and...

    Something I don't have. :)  That's why I'm trying to go as light as I can, with
currently (working) software.

> How big are these lists? How many messages a day? How many total e-mails are
> you thinking to send out a day? What's the hardware? What's the network and
> the pipe?

    Right now, the single machine running lists is a 200Mhz RISC machine, hosting
roughly 30 lists, each one with subscriber base between 1,500 to 5,000 (only about 5
of those lists actually hit the 5,000 mark, the rest are all under 2,500).  Each
list is generating an average of 20 msgs per hour, most of them being between the
hours of 6AM and 9PM.  The machine is sitting on a 100BT hub, connected to a T1.  I
don't have a problem with the bandwidth generated (considering these are small text
msgs), however I do have a problem with the system load and the time it takes for
messages to be spewed back out because of load.

    Yes I know, I should probably look into buying a faster machine, however I don't
have that luxury (at the moment).  I do however have other machines at my disposal
that I can use, providing I can tie them in this (main) one.

--
H | Hi, I'm currently out of my mind.  Please leave a message.  BEEEEP!
  Director of Internet Operations / SysAdmin    .     800.441.3873 x130