[Mailman-Users] Re: remove this?

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Wed May 9 01:33:50 CEST 2001

On Tue, 08 May 2001 15:21:27 -0500
Bill Warner <lww at ictech.net> wrote:

> At 12:47 PM 5/8/01 -0700, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:
>> You should have made those comments to the standards
>> committee. The RFC is the RFC.

> What RFC?  If you have a cite for an RFC which says that Mailman
> must add 10 lines worth of headers to every message it sends I'd
> be delighted to read it.

RFC 2369:

  http://www.pasteur.fr/infosci/RFC/23xx/2369

>> (hint: any DECENT mail client can be configured to show or hide
>> header lines...)

> But that's not the point.  (Not mine anyway... :-) I can't see any
> valid reason why Mailman should force me to inflict these headers
> on my list readers.

This is a choice.  In this case it is the choice of the Mailman
developers, and they've made this quite clear, that the ability to
turn off RFC 2369 headers is a generically Bad Thing and thus should
not be supported (see the list archives for details and discussion
on this).  Others, such as yourself, feel differently.  Thus, by the
wonder of Open Source you are free to edit your Mailman installation
to remove the headers, and to distribute and maintain the patches
that support that capability.

> If you want them going out on your lists that's just fine, but
> please give me the option to turn them off on mine.

You have the option and have always had it:  Hack the source.

J C Lawrence                                       claw at kanga.nu
The pressure to survive and rhetoric may make strange bedfellows