[Mailman-Users] How to Back Up Lists

Marc MERLIN marc_news at valinux.com
Fri May 4 23:00:38 CEST 2001

On Fri, May 04, 2001 at 04:25:48PM -0400, Christopher VanOosterhout wrote:

> After some review of the list archives I do not find an answer to what I
> think will be a pretty simple question.
>
> How do I make backups of my lists?  What files are critical?
>
> I want to back up the email addresses that are no the list as well as
> configuration information related to a specific list.

I use this:
chef:/var/local/mailman/bin/scripts# cat listlists
#!/bin/bash

cd ~mailman/lists/
for i in *
do
        echo "Subscribers of list $i"
        echo "--------------------------------------------------------------------------------"
        ~mailman/bin/list_members $i | sort
        echo
        echo
        echo
done

chef:/var/local/mailman/bin/scripts# cat dumplistconfigs
#!/bin/bash

if [ $# -ne 1 ]; then
    echo "$0 destdir"
    exit
fi

chown mailman $1

cd ~mailman/lists/
for i in *
do
    echo "Dumping list $i in $1/$i"
    ~mailman/bin/config_list -o $1/$i $i
done

chef:/var/local/mailman/bin/scripts# cat savelistinfo
#!/bin/bash

DATE=`date +%Y%m%d`

~mailman/bin/scripts/listlists > ~mailman/backup/listusers.$DATE
ln -snf ~mailman/backup/listusers.$DATE ~mailman/backup/listusers.current

mkdir ~mailman/backup/dump.$DATE
ln -snf ~mailman/backup/dump.$DATE ~mailman/backup/dump.current
~mailman/bin/scripts/dumplistconfigs ~mailman/backup/dump.$DATE >/dev/null

It should be close enough to what you want to do.

Note that it doesn't save the subscribers' passwords or list config options
(I wrote the above before dumpdb existed)

Oo  answer  your question  BTW,  most  of the  list  configs  are stored  in
~mailman/lsits/listname/config.db

Marc