[Mailman-Users] Help! My list digest users overwhelmed

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Mon May 7 19:19:26 CEST 2001

On Mon, 7 May 2001 00:02:58 -0700
louiza  <louiza at home.com> wrote:

> At 10:48 PM -0700 5/6/01, J C Lawrence wrote:
>> Examine the recieved headers of some of the dupes.  The odds are
>> high that it has nothing to do with your system, and that it has
>> everything to do with broken software at their end(s).  This
>> usually happens with broken MTAs delivering to even more broken
>> POP accounts and mishandling the error conditions surrounding
>> "mailbox full" etc.

> Thank you very much for your help.

> There is this <x-charset iso-8859-1> showing up in the oddest
> places in one member's posts. It shows up next to her e-mail
> address in several posts inside the offending digest, and in
> individual posts in the body of the message. She has a Yahoo!
> addy. Since that appears to be the only anomaly I'm seeing, I tend
> to think her account is the culprit.

Highly unlikely.  Look at the time stamps int he received headers.

> The other thing: people who are getting the multiple copies (400+
> for some of them!) have unsubscribed, but are still getting
> them. Does that make sense?

This almost guarantees that the problem is not in your system, but
in the handoff between a remote MTA nd their target mail system.

Check your local MTA logs to verify.

J C Lawrence                                       claw at kanga.nu
The pressure to survive and rhetoric may make strange bedfellows