[Mailman-Users] Re: Big problems with stale lockfiles on large list...

Graham TerMarsch mailman at howlingfrog.com
Thu May 3 20:20:14 CEST 2001

On Thursday 03 May 2001 01:08, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:
>     GT> Will let you know again if we continue to have this problem,
>     GT> but from what I've seen so far this appears to have fixed the
>     GT> major fire that I've had.  Now all I've got to figure out is
>     GT> how to try to speed up the admin CGIs so that they don't take
>     GT> two or three minutes to load when dealing with large lists...
>
> Check to see if it's disk access.  Remember you've got to load the
> entire marshaled dict into memory for each web hit, and that's gotta
> be expensive.  Things will get much better for 2.1 from the email side
> because there'll be some caching involved (there's a long running
> qrunner process now), but you'll still pay the penalty on the web
> side.  Really fixing that will be a job for Mailman 3.0.

Don't think that its disk access, but I could be wrong.  Box has 512MB of
RAM, and with the volume of traffic we've got coming in to this machine
the Mailman database should be stuck in cache perpetually.  I could be
totally wrong here, but I'm inclined to believe that its not disk IO thats
holding this one up.

--
Graham TerMarsch