[Mailman-Users] List configuration options, available now or not?

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Sat Mar 31 01:32:59 CEST 2001

On Fri, 30 Mar 2001 12:22:18 -0800
JC Dill <mailman at vo.cnchost.com> wrote:

> On 11:05 AM 3/30/01, Ron Echeverri wrote:
> 1) Does mailman have a configuration setting such that everyone
> who is subscribed to a list can post unmoderated, but email from a
> non-subscriber will be sent to a moderator for approval?

Yes.  This is an option under privacy options.

You can also configure a list so that only a named set of addresses
can post to the list, regardless of their subscription status.

> To let some non-subscribers post without moderation (a practice
> that I personally feel has dubious value, since their question
> might be answered in a post to the list, perhaps in response to
> someone else asking the same question, but they won't see it
> because they aren't subscribed), how about implementing simple
> filter so that if a non-subscriber's post mentions one or more
> keywords, let it through to the list unmoderated, otherwise it
> goes to the moderator?

This is currently not possible under Mailman alone.  It quite easy
to do however via, say, a combo of procmail and mailman.

> 2) Is [content filtering on the headers or body, to block messages
> that are in reply to an entire digest] possible with mailman?

Yes, within the minor limitations of regular expressions.

J C Lawrence                                       claw at kanga.nu