[Mailman-Users] List configuration options, available now or not?

Dan Mick dmick at utopia.West.Sun.COM
Fri Mar 30 23:53:29 CEST 2001

> I have 2 outstanding questions about mailman configuration options:
>
> 1)  Does mailman have a configuration setting such that everyone who is
> subscribed to a list can post unmoderated, but email from a non-subscriber
> will be sent to a moderator for approval?
>
> Yes or No?

Yes

> To let some non-subscribers post without moderation (a practice that I
> personally feel has dubious value, since their question might be answered
> in a post to the list, perhaps in response to someone else asking the same
> question, but they won't see it because they aren't subscribed), how about
> implementing simple filter so that if a non-subscriber's post mentions one
> or more keywords, let it through to the list unmoderated, otherwise it goes
> to the moderator?
>
> Is this currently available, or not?

No (at least not without hacking SpamDetect.py or something similar)

> 2)  Is [content filtering on the headers or body, to block messages that
> are in reply to an entire digest] possible with mailman?  Before I move my
> majordomo list to a new server with new mailing list software (mailman is
> the software I'm considering, obviously), it is a requirement that I can
> configure that software to do the same things I can currently easily do
> with majordomo.  I don't want to waste my time trying to futz around with
> installing and configuring mailman before I learn that it won't let me do
> some of the critical things I need it to do.
>
> Is this available, or not?

Yes.  Automagically, the messages get held for moderation.  With
hacking of SpamDetect.py (in this case, just adding entries to a
table), the messages can be rejected without commentary or further
action.