[Mailman-Users] smtp EOM marker problems

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at InTechnology.co.uk
Thu Mar 22 17:51:29 CET 2001

James.Madill at duke.edu said:
> It appears that when the message was sent out (using sendmail 8.11.1),
>  sendmail cut the message short at the EOM marker.  That is
> unfortunate,  but not the problem.  The problem is that there was
> enough text after the  EOM that Mailman never dequeued the message.
> As a result, a truncated  copy of the messages was sent out every
> minute until I was able to remove  them from the mailman/qfiles
> directory.

[You didn't mention the Mailman version you run... I guess it must be a
V2 of some sort due to the qfiles mentions - I'm using 2.0.3 and so a
couple of comments below might be wrong if you are running anything
much earlier]

I at first assumed you are injecting mail with SMTP and that the SMTP
handler was broken... however a look at smtplib.py shows that it does
double leading periods on lines, and so that is as it should...

In which case you must be using the Sendmail.py interface.  I've
commented on this on the list before... I personally wouldn't trust any
mail I wanted to get out to this handler.

The practice of terminating a message with a single period is part of
SMTP, but some unix dumb MUAs used it too... and some sendmail's hence
also do it :-(
I'm very lucky in having no sendmail instances and no sendmail
documentation here, so can't check the option you need to prevent this
behaviour - however exim's sendmail compatibility mode uses -oi to do
this.

You appear to have 2 options in this:-
  1. Change the definition of SENDMAIL_CMD in your site defaults and
     add a -oi flag (although I would check this first).

  2. Move to SMTP injection.... it has so many advantages

	Nigel.