[Mailman-Users] Re: Mailman-Users digest, Vol 1 #1091 - 17 msgs

Magnus Solvang magnus at skiinfo.no
Tue Mar 20 09:47:02 CET 2001

Quoting mailman-users-request at python.org (mailman-users-request at python.org):
| Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 18:49:50 +0000
| From: Simon Blandford <home at simonb.org.uk>
| To: mailman-users at python.org
| Subject: [Mailman-Users] Compile error
|
| I get the following after a while when I type make install...
|
| Compiling /home/mailman/Mailman/versions.py ...
| Traceback (innermost last):
|   File "bin/update", line 32, in ?
|     from Mailman import MailList
|   File "/home/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 41, in ?
|     from Mailman.ListAdmin import ListAdmin
|   File "/home/mailman/Mailman/ListAdmin.py", line 33, in ?
|     from Mailman import Message
|   File "/home/mailman/Mailman/Message.py", line 30, in ?
|     import sha
| ImportError: No module named sha
|
| I have installed python 2.0 in it's own directory (not at root level)
| and set the prefix to point to that binary. If I start python in command
| line mode and type "import sha" it doesn't complain.
|
| Any ideas?

Which version does 'python -v' report?
I too had problems installing Mailman, and "make install" failed in
the same place (Compiling ...versions.py).

I struggled with several versions of python on the machine I installed
Mailman on, and noticed that --with-python didn't do any good when it
came to "make install". It looks like "make install" uses the python
in your $PATH.
I temporarily switched /usr/bin/python (old version) with version 2.0
of python (I'm root), and this did the trick. I first tried to copy
python (2.0) to Mailman's bin-directory, and did

  export PATH=~mailman/bin:$PATH

but this gave me other problems.

Maybe you could ask root to upgrade python?

- M