[Mailman-Users] "bad" email addresses

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Tue Mar 20 05:43:10 CET 2001

On Sun, 18 Mar 2001 09:40:41 -0800
Sam Brooks <sbrooks at earthlink.net> wrote:

> How does Mailman handle "bad" email addresses?

It attempts to parse bounce message to determine the address that is
bouncing.  For obvious reasons, this doesn't always work.

> I know that Lyris "tags" individual mail to handle that type of
> problem.  Does Mailman do the same sort of thing?  Or is there
> some alternative way in Mailman to deal with that sort of thing.

ie VERP.

Mailman does not currently support VERP.  Adding VERP support for
version 3 with various levels of impact (all messages VERPed, some
messages VERPed, only the password reminders VERPed, etc) has been
discussed and seems likely.

Aside:

  Potentially you could embed a VERP layer at the MTA outside
  of Mailman and then munge appropriately, but this is not quite a
  trivial effort.  (Rewrite the envelope to pass thru a custom
  handler, then have that handler re-write bounces to a Mailman
  conformant format with the appropriate subscriber address in the
  "right place").

J C Lawrence                                       claw at kanga.nu