[Mailman-Users] Multiple installations almost working

Dave Melton dmelton at banzuke.com
Sat Mar 3 12:42:04 CET 2001

First, thanks to Roger for the tip about setting up my VirtualHosts!

I've now got my second installation of Mailman almost working, with
a username and group of "mailmana" (mailmanb and mailmanc will happen
as soon as I get the first one working).  The installation was no
problem, I was able to create a list (called chat), visit its new web
page, and subscribe a couple of test users.  The welcome messages
were sent and everything looked good.  However, a message sent to
chat at mydomain.com bounces with the following error:

"|/homes/mailmana/mail/wrapper post chat"
    (reason: 1)
    (expanded from: <chat at mydomain.com>)

Mailman error: post got bad listname: chat
554 5.3.0 "|/homes/mailmana/mail/wrapper post chat"... unknown mailer
error 1

This tells me that my sendmail configuration is getting the incoming
mail to the right script with the right listname, but for some reason
the post script can't tell that the list is there.

A "./bin/config_list -o- chat" and a "./bin/dumpdb lists/chat/config.db"
work, and don't show any problem with host names or anything.  The web
page at www.mydomain/mailman/listinfo does show the list.

What do I do now???

Thanks again,
  Dave Melton