[Mailman-Users] Re: Cron jobs

Dan Mick dmick at utopia.west.sun.com
Fri Mar 2 00:14:31 CET 2001

> On 3/1/01 12:11 PM, "Robert Brandtjen" <rob at prometheusmedia.com> wrote:
>
> Ok, let me clarify a little more (after looking through the crontab), is it
> necessary for qrunner to try resending every minute or can this be changed
> to once every 30 minutes?

qrunner doesn't "try to resend"; it's the backbone of mail flow
in Mailman.  See the comment at the top of qrunner.

Let it run every minute or so.  It does very little harm, and keeps
the list flowing.  Things are asynchronously queued to a very large
extent.

> Also, what is gated_news ? I found nothing in FAQ on that, it says it can be
> commented out, but what is it's purpose?

>From crontab.in.in:

# Every 5 mins, try to gate news to mail.  You can comment this one out
# if you don't want to allow gating, or don't have any going on right now,
# or want to exclusively use a callback strategy instead of polling.
0,5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55 * * * * @PYTHON@ -S @prefix@/cron/gate_news

>From gate_news:

"""Poll the NNTP servers for messages to be gatewayed to mailing lists.

Usage: gate_news [options]

Where options are

    --help
    -h