[Mailman-Users] Re: NNTP-Posting-Host not of the sender, in mail-news gateway

giancarlo giancarlo at navigare.net
Sat Jun 30 18:06:22 CEST 2001

I know, and I tried to explain this to the people in the newsgroup, but
you know, it's an unconfortable position when you have to defend
yourself sometimes..

But it is a fact that a mail-news gateway actually acts as an
'anonymizing resender', because the message that gets to the newsroup
comes from the mailman host and nothing is kept of the original message
headers. Shoul anyone complain to 'abuse', it's the mailman host that
did it all.

Anyway, I then tried to 'limit posts to list members', which looks as a
wise idea, but that too has some limit, as mailan makes no difference
between posts coming from the 'mail side' and from those coming from the
'news side'.  In practice every news poster out there in the world
should be subscribed to the list or he will get a 'not allowed to post'
message from mailman.  This doesn't seem too right to me.

It's someway difficult this all, and i decided to close relying to the
news, and amen!

Ciao.

Giancarlo