[Mailman-Users] Optimizing configuration

Harold Paulson haroldp at sierraweb.com
Fri Jun 29 18:06:03 CEST 2001

Hi,

I have actually seen similar behavior.  I'm running Mailman on a
FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE box, Python 2.0.  It doesn't particularly slow
things down, but Python is the only thing on the machine that
regularly uses CPU above about 10%.  Python can occasionally be seen
in `top` hogging 75-95% of the CPU.

I *suspect* that it is related to processing large messages.  I
approved a message of about 500k to be delivered to a list of about 8
addresses, and it ate up CPU for quite a while, apparently working on
it.  I actually saw loads above 20 from that, though, happily, the
machine stayed quite responsive.  A 10k message to 20k people does
seem to do this.  Might pipermail be the culprit here?

	- H

--

Harold Paulson                  Sierra Web Design
haroldp at sierraweb.com           http://www.sierraweb.com