[Mailman-Users] Re: Nothing happens !

Vizi Szilard vizisz at freemail.hu
Fri Jun 29 10:06:54 CEST 2001

Hello,

Firas R. wrote:
> * run /usr/lib/mailman/bin/mmsitepass  to create the mailman administrator
> password
Good.

> * edit /usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py  to customize mailman's
> configuration for your site
That is ok.

> * add these lines:
>   ScriptAlias /mailman/ /usr/lib/mailman/cgi-bin/
>   to /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf to configure your web server.
Very good.

> and added these aliases to /etc/aliases :
Looks a-okay.

> So after doing all of that , nothing happens ! I don't get an e-mail, and
> the only clue I've found is the following error from ( /var/mailman/post ):
>
> Jun 30 02:56:52 2001 (11522) post to test from mailman-owner at ourserver.com,
> size=1329, 1 failures
This is a known problem of the precomplied packages. This is caused by
the wrong GID-s that was use during the making of the package.

> I checked the log files, cron is running everything set for mailman without
> any errors
In /usr/lib/mailman/logs/error you only find a few error messages. You
should check the /var/log/mail/info  or error file.
There, I think you will find some error messages complaing about
"wrong GID, got xx, expected yy (try to reconfigure with xx)" or
"unknown mail error" or "sh: wrapper not available".

If only the later two is in the mail logs, than you should make the
following:
 * cd /etc/smrsh
 * ln -s /usr/lib/mailman/mail/wrapper wrapper

If you got GID related message, than you must get to know your sendmail
GID. Try this:
 * grep DefaultUser /etc/sendmail.cf

You will maybe get something this DefaultUser 8:12
The UID is 8 and the GID is 12 in this case.

But your package is configured for something else, in this case
you have to install Mailman from source.

It is not difficult, only you have to read INSTALL and run:
 * ./configure --with-mail-gid=<see above> --with-cgi-gid=<see below>
 * make install

For the proper web interface working lets find out the Apache
GID-s.
 * grep Group /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf

Group apache

Szilard Vizi