[Mailman-Users] Re: Mailman & Sendmail problems

Barry A. Warsaw barry at digicool.com
Fri Jun 29 06:53:21 CEST 2001

    AP> Now the question is - the posts/subscribes are being processed
    AP> only every minute, not often.  So if the message comes at
    AP> 01:01, it'll be visible only at 02:00.  Are there any way to
    AP> make the messages processing immediate?

In MM2.0.x, there is a cron-initiated qrunner process that wakes up
every minute and processes whatever's in the queue until completion.
Then it exits and won't run again until the next cron interval (which
has a granularity of one minute).

In MM2.1, the qrunner subsystem has been largely redesigned, so that
there is a long running process (or several) that turn around and
re-process the queue immediately.  So new messages will probably get
delivered much sooner.  I contend though that for email it doesn't
really matter much as long as the messages are processed "fast
enough".  I.e. except perhaps on an intranet, nobody expects email to
be immediately delivered from sender to recipient.

(Side note: in MM2.1 qrunner will sleep for one minute if it finds
that there are no messages in its queue waiting to be processed.  As
long as the queue has messages in it though, it won't sleep.)

-Barry