[Mailman-Users] No address verification for one user.

J C Lawrence claw at 2wire.com
Wed Jun 27 01:43:42 CEST 2001

On Tue, 26 Jun 2001 17:20:38 -0500 (CDT)
Peter Hutnick <peter-lists at hutnick.com> wrote:

> Hello, I have one user who can't subscribe.  He did the first
> step, and the subscribe log lists him as "pending."  He has not
> received the conformation email.

> His webserver is on a dynamic DNS system.  He can receive mail to
> his host from "everyone" except Mailman lists.  (Verified with a
> SF list.)

> So, the question is: Does Mailman do some sort of "extra" DNS
> checking?

It doesn't.

> His forward and reverse DNS entries (obviously?) conflict.  Is
> this the problem?

The interesting aspects are the MX record for this domain, whether
it is dynamic too (stupid, but it happens when they have no MX
listed and it defaults to the A record), whether there's a cacheing
nameserver local to the local MTA, and whether that nameserver
enforces minimum TTLs on cached entries.

Start out by digging his domain.

If he doesn't have an MX record that's likely the root of your
answer right there.

If he does have an MX try telnetting to port 25 on that box and
hand-delivering a message to him to that mail server.  See if it
bounces or is rejected.

Next do the same thing on your local mail server and watch your MTA
logs to see where it tries to deliver it and what results it gets.

etc.

Somewhere in there you'll find the answer.

J C Lawrence                                       claw at kanga.nu
The pressure to survive and rhetoric may make strange bedfellows