[Mailman-Users] Debian upgrade hell...

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Tue Jun 26 09:40:49 CEST 2001

On Mon, 25 Jun 2001 23:51:12 -0700
Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui at plaidworks.com> wrote:

> On Monday, June 25, 2001, at 10:30 PM, J C Lawrence wrote:

>> The patter I usually follow in such cases:

> And people start to understand why I'm so hard-core about having
> test machines.

Yup.  I do the same.  The specific need, which I do hit periodically,
is:

  I've got a Debian system but I need to build package FOO slightly
  differently from the default package.  How do I do that?  How was
  that package built and configured the first time?

I recently had that exact problem as I needed to built some PHP4
modules (mnoGoSearch in particular) that are not packaged under
Debian.  I then follow the patter I quoted on my test machine to get
the details of how Debian builds and packages PHP4 by default,
edited that as appropriate to build what I wanted, got it pretty
there, and then rolled to production.

> I'm very paranoid about making changes to a production machine
> that I haven't already made to a test machine.

Damned right.  Even then I get burnt sometimes (things I forgot or
didn't know to check for).

J C Lawrence                                             claw at kanga.nu
---------(*)                                http://www.kanga.nu/~claw/
I never claimed to be human.