[Mailman-Users] Debian upgrade hell...

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Tue Jun 26 08:51:12 CEST 2001

On Monday, June 25, 2001, at 10:30 PM, J C Lawrence wrote:

> The patter I usually follow in such cases:

And people start to understand why I'm so hard-core about having test
machines. I'm very paranoid about making changes to a production machine
that I haven't already made to a test machine. Even for the "I'm only a
lowly linux user", you can save 99% of these hassles with a cheapo $500
beat-it-up box that you load with your system and try changes on, or
even a nspare disk for your desktop and/or laptop. How many hours lost
to fixing hosed "real" systems pays for that?

I will, sometimes, upgrade a production system cold. If there's a really
serious issue where the cure is unlikely worse than the disease, or when
I know the software well enough to know that the risks are minimal (or
that I can hack it back into shape quickly). But I try to keep that very
rare.

There's the real economy, the new economy and the false economy...

   To the optimist, the glass is half full.
   To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.
   To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.