[Mailman-Users] mail loops: list-request and vacation messages

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Tue Jun 26 05:57:38 CEST 2001

On Monday, June 25, 2001, at 08:47 PM, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

> One approachable suggestion: put a governor on the number of messages
> any one address is allowed to post to a list per time period.

Could the new queueing system be set up with a timed-backoff delay?
you'd have to keep a fair amount of state, but the minimum time between
postings for a given user is, say, 30 minutes, and every time they post
it doubles? (30, 1 hour, 2 hours, 4 hours...). this sort of thing gets
gnarly fast, though, since oyu have to start tracking when the first one
came in and age it out of the system, or find some other way to keep
from really honking off your legitimate, prolific posters.

You're already doing much of what you can without being annoying and
generating false positives -- the X-BeenThere, for instance. If 2.1
doesn't do it, keeping track of message-id's and locking down repeated
ones is a good idea. So is building a suite of keywords "out of the
office", "on vacation" that lock to admin approval.  Rate limiters,
though, are double-edged bananas. think about what happens on these
lists when we get into a burst of discussion or development activity --
do you really want your own posts, or JC's or Dan's held simply beacuse
they've sat down with a cup of coffee and answered ten pending questions
all at once? You run the risk of honking off the common posters and the
people who answer questions, or shutting down discussions that get
interesting, simply because they spike messages. Exactly (IMHO) what you
don't want -- everytime something gets interesting, a nanny that says
"don't care if you're having fun, you're posting too much..." (grin)

(we could, I guess, get into my position that e-mail is a horrible way
to do this sort of stuff... After all, on a typical discussion list,
what's usually the first thing that happens after a bunch of people get
into an enthusiastic discussion? People coming out of the woodwork to
tell them to shut up, because they're generating too many messages...
What a great medium, where good discussions are so often seen as a bad
thing... snicker)

You know, I Remember When I Used To Speak In Capitals, Too. It's
addictive.
It also encourages people to poke sticks at you. Justifiably. (chuq,
1992)