[Mailman-Users] mail loops: list-request and vacation messages

Bob Puff@NLE bob at nleaudio.com
Tue Jun 26 05:39:32 CEST 2001

Chuq Von Rospach wrote:

> On Monday, June 25, 2001, at 08:21 PM, Bob Puff at NLE wrote:
>
> > Relatively easy.  Set a limit on how many messages a user can post in
> > say a 10 minute period.  Make it user editable.  If you get >8, you've
> > got a loop!
>
> that slows it down, but doesn't catch any but the worst loops. It's just
> as typical to see these things in a 30 minute turnaround as a 3 minute.
> Or 2 hours.  You can reduce the worst of the damage, but these hacks
> don't really fix it.

Hmm, can't say I've seen the long turnaround, but you could still play with the numbers, based on the fact that the mailbot will generate one reply for every message it receives.  In other words, you could make a rule something like:

  Any given user cannot post more than 10 messages in a 24 hour period.

I think this is how Lyris handles such things.

Bob