[Mailman-Users] This is unixstuff warning

J C Lawrence claw at 2wire.com
Thu Jun 14 21:37:14 CEST 2001

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001 11:04:00 -0700
Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui at plaidworks.com> wrote:

> and passwords on unsubs are silly (sorry, Barry). Users who want
> to unsubscribe want off. they don't want to play games, they just
> want to leave. I have, in the last decade, seen ONE instance of
> forged unsubs on my mail lists, and that was a guy who was trying
> to make a point and so unsubsribed me from my own lists. Let's
> just say he didn't appreciate the response.

My stats are a little higher, and specific to political/chat lists
where egos and tempers tended to run high.  On three occasions we
had unsub wars rather than "admit defeat" in an argument.  As the
list announced unsubs to the list (but not subs) the apparent intent
was to create the impression that the other person had left rather
than lose the point.

<<glazed look>>

J C Lawrence                                       claw at kanga.nu
The pressure to survive and rhetoric may make strange bedfellows