[Mailman-Users] Discard non-member postings automatically?

Louiza louiza at home.com
Thu Jun 21 21:50:15 CEST 2001

>On Thu, 21 Jun 2001 06:35:50 -0700
>J B Bell <J> wrote:
>
>>  I recently converted a list to Mailman.  Unfortunately, it's a
>>  huge spam target, and I get many messages a day from non-members.
>>  Slogging through and discarding them all is very annoying.  Is
>>  there any way to set a policy of discarding non-member postings
>  > outright?

Hi, I'm by no means an expert, but here's how I set up Mailman, version 2.01:

Under Privacy Options:

Must posts be approved by an administrator?  No.
Restrict posting privilege to list members?   No.

And then I dropped the members e-mail addresses that I allowed to
post in the field along with the following:

Addresses of members accepted for posting to this list without
implicit approval requirement. (See "Restrict ... to list members"
for whether or not this is in addition to allowing posting by list
members

I don't know if the above works for a huge amount of members posting,
but it worked like a charm for my 160 that were allowed to post
unmoderated. Anyone who tried to spam or who didn't follow my newbies
guidelines had to have their posts approved, and all I had to do was
reject them.

Regards,

Louiza