[Mailman-Users] Allowing users to join without specifying pas swords

Enriko Groen enriko.groen at netivity.nl
Mon Jun 18 10:45:43 CEST 2001

Well, I can give some figures...
My company is sending a newsletter on behalf of one of our clients. About
4000 subscribers.
First this was done by an Exchange mailserver (Yes, I hated it too, that's
why I came in ;).
It took the server about 8 hours to send out all mail over the 256 k
upstream. And them it would still take some days to get out the failed
messages. If the NT server didn't break.

We switched to Mailman + Postfix some weeks ago and did a newsletter.
The mailserver was on a slow 14k upstream @home line... We calculated 7
hours of delivery time.
Not an improvement to the first, but at least a stable system and over a
lower quality line.

After 3 hours I checked the mailqueue... I was supprised to find that over
90% of the mail had been delivered.
The leftover 10% was merely wrong addresses or slow mailserver (bigfoot).
Suddenly I realised that it was the "several addresses at once" feature of
Mailman + Postfix that did the trick. Especially for the big bunch of
hotmail addresses we have in the list.
--
Enriko Groen, Hosting manager
netivity bv   www.netivity.nl   enriko.groen at netivity.nl
038 - 850 1000   van nagellstraat 4      8011 eb  zwolle