[Mailman-Users] virtual hosting tactic

alex wetmore alex at phred.org
Sat Jun 16 01:06:42 CEST 2001

On Fri, 15 Jun 2001, Rodrigo Borges Pereira wrote:
> I'm running a server that hosts a few domains. I already have mailman
> running for lists.mydomain.com, and it is working great.
>
> However, now i want to give users that host domains the ability to use
> lists.userdomain.com too, and each user has it's own mailman setup under his
> domain.

If the lists don't have conflicting names then you can just set the
"preferred domain" for each list to be the userdomain.  As an example
http://phred.org/mailman/listinfo,
servers, but act as if they are unique domains.  You can send a
message to any of the lists using any of the domains (ie, if there is
a list xxx at cascade.bikelist.org you could get to it by sending email
to xxx at phred.org), but I don't advertise that fact and users generally
don't figure it out.

If you have conflicting list names then things get more complicated
and you need to setup a mailman install per domain.  There is a lot of
information on this in the archives.

alex