[Mailman-Users] Allowing users to join without specifying pas swords

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Fri Jun 15 21:24:17 CEST 2001

On Fri, 15 Jun 2001 11:59:51 -0700
Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui at plaidworks.com> wrote:

> On Friday, June 15, 2001, at 11:34 AM, J C Lawrence wrote:

>> VERP is interesting.  I'd argue that allowing Mailman to only
>> apply VERP (or VERP-like techniques) to every Nth post to every
>> Q'th list member is the most interesting case, both for bounce
>> handling and human unsubscribe/listinfo etc.

> Me, I see VERP as an afterthought.

I tend to classify the various forms of "do something member unique
to each message as VERP" as they share similar system load issues.

> I'm more interested in making things easier for the end user,
> which means things like what I posted earlier this morning (to
> line changes, encoded URLs). you can't do that every Nth post...

Actually you can and it works rather nicely.  I was on a list for a
while which applied one of a library of customisations to each
message.  Thus each message would have a footer blob that instructed
on a different aspect of using the list effectively.

Rather neat I thought.

> ... it has to be in every message.

Really?

> And once you do that, you might as well do VERP, since it's now
> free.

True.

J C Lawrence                                       claw at kanga.nu
The pressure to survive and rhetoric may make strange bedfellows