[Mailman-Users] Allowing users to join without specifying pas swords

Barry A. Warsaw barry at digicool.com
Fri Jun 15 20:12:07 CEST 2001

    BAW>  That's always seemed a big pill to swallow,

    CVR> Is it really? Most of us are already setting that chunking
    CVR> factor very small (5-10) for performance purposes. Moving it
    CVR> from 10 to 1 isn't really all that significant, and it's only
    CVR> an issue where people are already stressing server or network
    CVR> capacity. It seems to me that server's in trouble anyway, as
    CVR> membership grows, so all you're doing is delaying reality.

That's what I wanted to know!  If I understand one thing, its that my
own demands on Mailman are heavily skewed to the atypical lists I run,
the systems I run it on, and the kinds of tasks it forces on me.  So
getting other points of view are critical here (which I why I love
this community!).

    CVR> And besides. Are we here to make life easy for the server? or
    CVR> the subscriber?

    CVR> I think this attitude is a hangover from the days of uucp
    CVR> dialups and slow modems, Barry. it's time to realize that
    CVR> computers are cheap, compared to time lost by the people
    CVR> using them and the hassle they cause to the users.

So what should the default be?  While I appreciate this sentiment (a
lot!), I'm still worried that if we turn this on, a naive sys admin
could get themselves in hot water, and start flooding us with "Why
does my performance suck so bad?!" messages.

Maybe I'm being overly paranoid, or too curmudgeonly, but my
inclination would be to disable this by default, but allow a sys admin
to turn it on if they want.

Thoughts?
-Barry