[Mailman-Users] This is unixstuff warning

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Thu Jun 14 09:44:10 CEST 2001

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001 11:38:58 -0700
Phil Stracchino <alaric at babylon5.babcom.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 13, 2001 at 08:44:14AM -0700, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:

>> I think the "teach them to fish" mode worked in earlier
>> days. Today, too many people feel everyone else owes them
>> whatever they want.

> It's all part of the culture of abdication of personal
> responsibility and the nanny society.  They don't want you to
> teach them how to fish ...

Translation: The September that never ended is still not over.

Unfortunately, and not attempting to read his eulogy, and this is
something I deeply regret, Chuq appears to be the latest (and
hopefully temporary) casualty.  He has a good point: Maintaining
good will and earnestness in the face of continual unresponsive
blunt assault tends to be dehumanising.  Triage is understandable,
and probably should be encouraged if only to save personal integrity
and belief in self.  I don't know that there are any elegant answers
when you spend human capital that way, and I certainly don't know
that its possible to NOT spend human capital in this way.

Do some Google searches on Chuq.  He's earned, not claimed, his
laurels.

J C Lawrence                                       claw at kanga.nu
The pressure to survive and rhetoric may make strange bedfellows