[Mailman-Users] This is unixstuff warning

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Thu Jun 14 05:27:02 CEST 2001

On Wednesday 13 June 2001 09:53 am, JC Dill wrote:
> On 04:38 AM 6/13/01, Ed Wilts wrote:
>  >On Wednesday 13 June 2001 02:25 am, Enriko Groen wrote:
>  >> And frustrated too because they get 70 emails or so a day and don't
>  >> know how to leave the list.
>  >
>  >All they have to do is to display the headers of one of the mail
>  > messages. The unsubscribe information is in there.
>
> There are too many people on the Internet these days who CAN NOT view all
> the message headers.  AOL hides many headers.  Hotmail hides many
> headers.  Yahoo hides many headers.  Even if there is some process the user
> can go through to eventually view all the headers, someone who wants to
> just stop receiving 70 mails a day is just going to start whining (to the
> list!) "how do I get off this list, I can't handle all this email!"  They
> are NOT motivated to figure out how to "view all the headers" to get that
> information.

In the general case, I would tend to agree with you.  However, this is not a
general sewing list for end users, but a discussion of mailing lists on a
server.  Seriously, if you don't understand mail headers, you shouldn't be
trying to manage mailing lists.

Perhaps it's just too easy to subscribe to mailman-users.  The confirmation
e-mail should say to check the mail headers to instructions to confirm your
subscription.  If you can't find them, you don't deserve to be managing
mailing lists.  Half a :-)

	.../Ed
--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA