[Mailman-Users] This is unixstuff warning

JC Dill mailman at vo.cnchost.com
Wed Jun 13 17:08:16 CEST 2001

On 06:56 AM 6/13/01, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

 >    EG> Wouldn't it be good to state that Mailman is for Unix servers
 >    EG> only in the beginning of the websites pages?  I think it would
 >    EG> bounce of a few dozen of people who subscribe to this list and
 >    EG> will get disapointed anyway.  And frustrated too because they
 >    EG> get 70 emails or so a day and don't know how to leave the
 >    EG> list.
 >
 >The first sentence under the "Requirements, Download" section of
 >www.list.org states:
 >
 >    Mailman currently runs only on Unix-y systems, such as Linux,
 >    Solaris, *BSD, etc.
 >
 >How can you do more than that? ;)

	Put it on the home page.

In the first section.  Incorporate it into either the first or second
paragraphs.  (Or add a third paragraph to that section.)

Example A:

Mailman is software to help manage electronic mail discussion lists, much
like Majordomo or Smartmail. Mailman gives each mailing list a unique web
page and allows users to subscribe, unsubscribe, and change their account
options via email or over the web. The list manager can administer his or
her list entirely via the web if desired. Mailman has most of the features
that people want in a mailing list management system, including built-in
archiving, mail-to-news gateways, spam filters, bounce detection, digest
delivery, and so on. Runs on most Un*x-like systems, compatible with most
web servers and browsers, and most SMTP servers. See the features page for
more detail.

Example B:

Mailman is free software. It is distributed under the GNU General Public
License. The canonical Mailman home page is at
www.gnu.org/software/mailman/mailman.html, with more information available
at www.list.org. Mailman is written in the Python programming language,
with a little bit of C code for security. Runs on most Un*x-like systems,
compatible with most web servers and browsers, and most SMTP servers.

jc (posted and emailed)