[Mailman-Users] Fwd: delivery failure

J C Lawrence claw at 2wire.com
Thu Jun 7 00:22:56 CEST 2001

On Wed, 6 Jun 2001 10:16:05 -0700
Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui at plaidworks.com> wrote:

> Barry, whatever you do -- don't do it this way.

His phrasing could be a mite more elegant, but the basic approach
seems sound.  How about instead of:

>> Your email Re: [Mailman-Users] Re: MIME messages , Wed, 6 Jun
>> 2001 10:03:00 -0700 containing HTML junk is not wanted here for
>> security reasons. It has been bounced without human intervention.

Something ala:

  Your message of date DD MM YYYY with Subject "<subject>" has been
  <rejected|discarded> by the <LISTNAME> mailing list for one the
  following reasons:

    -- Contains one or more <MIMEtype> attachments
    -- Matches keyword filters that the list owner has defined.
    -- <list_owner_defined_reason>

  An original copy of your message is attached below.

There should also be a matching set for edits:

  Your message of date DD MM YYYY with Subject "<subject>" has been
  edited by the list server for the <LISTNAME> mailing list for one
  the following reasons:

    -- Automatic removal of one or more <MIMEtype> attachments
    -- Automatic unrolling of unnecessarily quoted/printable text.
    -- Automatic unrolling of unnecessarily base64 encoded text.
    -- Automatic removal of a filtered text block configured by the
    list owner.
    -- Was manually edited by the list owner.
    -- <list_owner_defined_reason>

  Both an original copy of your message is attached below, as well
  as the edited version which was forwarded to the list for
  broadcast..

Of course the returned messages should be attached as a
message/rfc822 MIME parts rather than jut being inlined as flat
text.  (Yeesh) I'm also rather keen on inserting a custom header on
messages which have been automatically edited to indicate that they
are not as sent by the original author.

. o O ( And it seemed such a simple idea when we started )
J C Lawrence                                       claw at kanga.nu
The pressure to survive and rhetoric may make strange bedfellows