[Mailman-Users] Need mail merge capability

Norbert Bollow nb at thinkcoach.com
Thu Jun 7 13:41:41 CEST 2001

Barry wrote:

> Ah, let's try this FAQ entry:
>
> Q. Can I put the user's address in the footer that Mailman adds to
>    each message?
>
> A. No.  The reason is that, for efficiency, Mailman batches together
>    message delivery for many users at once.  Putting the user's
>    address in the footer would require Mailman to craft a unique
>    message for each recipient, and this would likely unacceptably bog
>    down your system.
>
>    Some MTAs (e.g. Qmail) provide a facility known as VERP, which may

VERP means "variable envelope return path", which is useful for
reliable bounce-handling.  It is not the same thing as including
the recipient email address in the message header or body.

>    be used to accomplish this.  You'll need to investigate the
>    configuration options of your MTA for details.

As a matter of fact, it is not possible with an unpatched,
out-of-the-box qmail installation.  However there is a widely-used,
well-tested patch for qmail which makes this possible.

If you like I can put up a webpage which explains how to set
this so up that you can do something like Neil Cooler wants, who