[Mailman-Users] set gid didn't work?

Amanda arandall at auntminnie.com
Thu Jun 7 00:39:18 CEST 2001

Thanks for the recommend! If I ever get my head above water enough to go
shopping for another book (much less read!) I will certainly consider it.

I wish I'd gotten your email two hours ago... it might have saved me about
half of the time that I spent figuratively crawling on my hands and knees
through the system with a flashlight and a magnifying glass. (The other
half was actually locating the pesky little critter and eradicating it.)

Barry, et al, I really appreciate all the suggestions and ideas and
support. Because of your (all of you's) input over the last few days I've
gotten one step closer to actually getting my job done. And believe me, I
will be relieved to move on to other things!

*sigh* I've spent the last sixteen years with a keyboard in my hands. I've
learned various programming languages, can make DOS do backflips, actually
have beaten (and continue to beat) Windows in its various incarnations
into terrified submission, have a fairly keen grasp on MacOS 7/8x, and
have a cute little certificate naming me "Hardware Goddess of the Month,"
can run circles around some of the Novell administrators to whom I used to
report - I know that stuff backwards and forwards in my sleep blindfolded
with one hand tied behind my back ..... but Linux is kicking my butt.
Classes, tutorials, and manuals - even a fair amount of user-end
experience - cannot even begin to prepare a person for the bizarre and
apparently random and stupid things that happen in a real-life linux admin
environment.

I hate it.

I take some consolation in the fact that the gurus who gave me all the
skinny on qmail in the first place were just as baffled by its behaviour
as I was. And the folks who so highly recommended Mandrake to me have been
thoroughly confused by the things that kept breaking during configuration

... if they can't make it work, what makes me think I can??

Makes me wonder why the freaking heck I ever signed up for this project.

</rant>
Sorry... tonight I will have a beer. Or three. I think I've earned it.

=)
Amanda