[Mailman-Users] Need mail merge capability

Barry A. Warsaw barry at digicool.com
Thu Jun 7 00:00:21 CEST 2001

    NB> Use qmail (with the verh patch) as MTA.

    >> No - this would require Mailman to do deliveries one address at
    >> a time rather than batched, and so would cost much more in
    >> terms of delivery.

    NB> The way around this is that replacing the tag must be done by
    NB> the MTA at the time of sending out the message via SMTP.

Ah, let's try this FAQ entry:

Q. Can I put the user's address in the footer that Mailman adds to
   each message?

A. No.  The reason is that, for efficiency, Mailman batches together
   message delivery for many users at once.  Putting the user's
   address in the footer would require Mailman to craft a unique
   message for each recipient, and this would likely unacceptably bog
   down your system.

   Some MTAs (e.g. Qmail) provide a facility known as VERP, which may
   be used to accomplish this.  You'll need to investigate the
   configuration options of your MTA for details.

-Barry