[Mailman-Users] Re: MIME messages

Phil Stracchino alaric at babylon5.babcom.com
Wed Jun 6 19:11:43 CEST 2001

On Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 09:30:53AM -0700, Roger B.A. Klorese wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Jun 2001, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:
> > Could someone write up a quick list of requirements for demimeing that
> > they'd like to see encorporated directly into Mailman 2.1?

Personally, there's only about three things I think a MLM needs to be able
to do, demime-wise, all of which should of course be optional per-list:

1. Strip binary attachments except for PGP signatures
	(An extension to this would be to strip binary attachments, save
	 them in a list-specified location, and insert a URL.  I can't
	 think of anything except PGP signatures that most lists would
	 need to let through.)

2. Flatten HTML text to ASCII text
	(HTML mail is an abomination.  End of story.)

3. Turn quoted-printable into plaintext
	(It seems to me that most mailers that send quoted-printable do it
	 very badly anyway, but that could be just my perception.)

Flattening multiple text attachments into inline text probably isn't a
good idea, or at least needs to be able to be turned off.  It makes things
like mailing patches difficult.

--
 Linux Now!   ..........Because friends don't let friends use Microsoft.
 phil stracchino   --   the renaissance man   --   mystic zen biker geek