[Mailman-Users] Admin Mail Loops

Steve Lay S.W.Lay at ucles-red.cam.ac.uk
Mon Jun 4 17:21:03 CEST 2001

This question has been asked on various occasions but, other than a
historical discussion on mailman-developers I can't seem to find a
definitive reply.

I run two mailman servers and last night one of them went mad with an admin
bounce loop resulting in thousands of messages bunging up various MTAs -
filling up the quotas of other list owners, generating more bounces and so
on.  The server in question is running mailman 1.1 but my other server is
running 2.0.1.

I've read through the "NEWS" file that came with 2.0.1 and there is no
mention of the admin bounce problem or a fix for it.  I've also read
through the code to see if I can work out if a fix was inserted but I
didn't see anything obvious.

I did an experiment with my 2.0.1 system and mailman seemed to absorb a
bounce message generated by an approval request sent to a bogus list owner
and a line got reported in the bounce log so I assume that the bounce
machinery is being used for this somehow.

However, my bounce loop started with a bounce report from an Exchange
server and I have not been able to test that my newer 2.0.1 server will do
the right thing.

Can anybody reassure me?