[Mailman-Users] Re: A good MTA program?

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Fri Jun 1 08:14:11 CEST 2001

On Thu, 31 May 2001 21:22:16 -0700
Mike T Gholson <mike at mgdesign.net> wrote:

> It doesn't look like sendmail is the greatest MTA for use with
> Mailman.

I'd argue that sendmail is a pretty poor choice of MTA in general,
but that's a seperate and somewhat religious topic.  That said,
Sendmail does not pose any particular problems WRT Mailman, and
Mailman successfully runs in large numbers of sendmail-using sites.

> What is a good MTA that seems to work well with Mailman?

I would generically recommend either Exim (http://www.exim.org/) or
Postfix (http://www.postfix.org/).  From what I know of your
position I'd priobably recommend Exim in particular.  Nigel has
written an excellant Mailman/Exim HOW-TO (ships with mailman and can
be found on the Exim site) and Exim itself has perhaps the most
human readable and human friendly set of configs of any MTA.

ObDisclosure: I currently use Postfix on all my list servers.  I
used to use Exim.  I still run Exim on other systems (such as the
one I'm typing on now).  I've used both for many months (years in
Exim's case).  I made the change for non-technical reasons.  I like
both.

J C Lawrence                                       claw at kanga.nu
The pressure to survive and rhetoric may make strange bedfellows